Wednesday 20 May 2015

Hobby Update

Wow my bad! It has been a while since the last post. Apologies its been manic over here. Hobby wise plenty has been going on. Last week on Thursday I went over to the guys behind Across the Dead Earth's house and playtested a game of there forth coming new game The Shattered Crown  its turning out to be quite a fun game. I also have been given a set of the first castings! So I have a unit of 12 Hellesburne Swordsmen that have been primed and the beginnings of base coat.





Also last week I have acquired a set of the Mantic Ruined Village to have a play with. Orginally it was released with the Mars Attacks game but they have recently released several different sets of just the terrain. Its simple to put together and if you have the bigger sets you can build quite intricate structures with it. I only have the small set so opted to go with single story ruins.

Its needs painting I think some of the bigger pieces I may base just for sturdiness. There are a couple of rubble piles that come in two halves I haven't glued these yet as I may use the halves and glue them against the larger panels. As you can see in the first pic it can cover quite a chunk of table the mat is 27cm by 42cm. I think it looks quite cool as a ruined office block, You also get a bag of fences, bins and things like hanging baskets that you can add to them.





Tuesday night this week myself and Pulp Citizen played a fun game of 7TV with the good gentleman beating me soundly 2-1 on victory points only a last minute card saved it from being a 3-1 slaughter.....lol More game shall certainly be on the cards as it was quite comical. Our next game we have planned will be the Batman miniatures game. So work shall be proceeding to get the rest of my Penguin Crew finished off again I've done some bits this week another henchmen is nearly finished and the Penguin and a Titan thug are well on the way.



26 comments:

  1. I, too, was very impressed with the Mantic scenery items for the Mars Attacks game, although, obviously it has uses in many other games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes totally. I shall probably base most of it I think and it needs painting as I used a bit in our game of 7TV it looks ok but is a bit to uniform for the eye.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Simon. I haven't really looked too closely at the "Mantic" scenery but that looks like a nice load of walls... it'd certainly look good as scenery for some BatRep shots ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check out http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/new/battlezones.html you can see some of the kits on offer. This is a Salute set at £25 but I can't see it on the site.

      Delete
  3. Very generous of them to give you some of the first castings on those figures. They do look nice from here.

    You've got a lot of painting to do Simon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed very generous. I always have lots of painting lol :)

      Delete
  4. Hola
    Buenas esas minis
    Y los terrenos buenos,seguro que dan mucho juego
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes theree great looking minis and the terrain will be very useful

      Delete
  5. The figure look good, be very nice to see one finished. So Pull your finger out and get it done!

    Mixed feelings about the mantic scenery, it is nice and all that but I wonder about it being good value. But then I am a cheapskate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its one of those things time vs money. It covers a fair bit of table for not very much initial outlay. A quick coat of paint and a drybrush and if you want to Like I shall eventually is base it and add debris etc.

      Delete
  6. Welcome back. Very nice choice for your header picture :) I've seen a few people talking about that Mantic terrain. It does look pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yes with a bit of decoration here and there I can see it being used in ww2 settings, sci fi and everything inbetween.

      Delete
  7. That Mantic scenery looks rather impressive. I'm not a huge fantasy fan but those mini's look pretty good at first glance, I'm sure they'll be much more so when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really nice minis theres is plenty of detail but not loads so finicky to paint.

      Delete
  8. Mantic's line gets bigger and more easily absorbed into other games. I like this. Have they made connecting the walls easier and stronger than the Deadzone scenery? Those little connector pieces snapped more often than not when taking the pieces apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't take them apart you'd get that with any plastic multipart kit. I can remember the Necromunda terrain used to warp along the edges and fray so unless you permanently glue them like I have then there will be additional wear and tear on these as well.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the intro to 7TV2e Simon; some good stuff in the game-play and an enjoyable game. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! Have raised the points on the forums so will see what gets said.

      Delete
  10. I like the Mantic ruins, and they don't cost an arm and a leg like the GW stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are. My mate Carl Packham has combined some with some Dead zone sets and made some ace looking industrial ruins.

      Delete
  11. Nice swordsmen!

    Those Mantic ruins look very good and I'm sure can be based and built into some really fine terrain pieces. You know what's missing, though (and this isn't really a criticism of Mantic since no manufacturer does this as far as I know) is all the fallen bits from the ruins. Not just the occasional brick pile - welcome as that is - but the timbers, roof tiles, broken furniture and other debris that ought to be present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Know what you mean about the debris. I keep all the left over bits in a scrap back and chuck it on my building bases. The brick piles in the pics are in two halves so you could stick one next to a wall and have a pile of rubble against it.

      The 4 Ground Corner ruin kit I had came with a ton of extra ruined bits which I used on the truck tower

      Delete
  12. That's a lot of minis to paint in one go. It has been a long long time since I painted a squad/unit. My last one was the GW Chaos cultists ... and that seems like ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer doing individuals if i'm honest. But I have found I can do batches of figures from time to time.

      Delete
  13. Promising start on the swordsmen! Is this new game to be played with a larger count of models? There seems a lot more of them here than what you shown us for ATDE gangs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yes much larger model count for this game. There are several infantry types, Spear, Sword, Crossbow, Elite, Cavalry and Elite Cavalry as well as a few characters (lord, Champion and mage).

      Delete